Sunday, July 29, 2012

Camping and Olympics Project

I've started my Ravellenic Games (formerly Ravelympics) project.  Didn't get to watch the opening ceremonies when I cast on since I was camping at the time.



I'm loving this yarn.  It's Schaffer Yarn's Audrey in the Mary Walker Phillips colorway.  It 50% merino wool, 50% silk.  So soft and shiny and it's in some of favorite colors.  The design is my own.  Not sure at this point how it's going to turn out.  It'll be a shallow shawl, triangle or half circle shape.  I haven't quite decided yet.


So camping, yay, that was fun.  Kind of.  It was definitely one of the most memorable camping trips I've been on, but that's not necessarily a good thing.  Every year at the end of July my family goes camping up on Priest Lake.  Sometimes on the west side, sometimes the east, it all depends of what campground we can get into.  This year was on the east side at Lionhead's campground.  It's a nice campground, no hook ups, but free wifi, which is just weird.  We camped there for the first time last year and it was enjoyable.  They have a dog beach which is nice when you want to play on the beach with your dogs, and it also means I haven't been on the other part of the huge beach the campground has.  What can I say, I like hanging with the dogs.  Tripper and Cable are just so lovable.


Nice location, lots of wonderful family to spend time with, nice weather, only one problem.  The neighbors.


Thursday morning I was woken up at 7am by someone yelling into a megaphone, in Russian.  Yes, that right, Russian, in North Idaho.  The campground was taken over on Wednesday by a huge church group which apparently were all Russian, and they apparently didn't see anything wrong with yelling into a megaphone at 7am in the morning.  Or letting their kids run through our campsite thirty minutes later.  I was pissed.  I mean, it's one thing to making noise at 7 in the morning (when quiet hours ended) it's a completely other thing to be yelling into a megaphone at the hour, or any hour.  The rangers came in and put a stop to it for us and the other patrons of the campground.  They couldn't however do anything about the dirt bikes, but that wasn't constant so it wasn't too bad.  It was the smell that was worse then the noise anyways.


Friday was the best day for me.  Managed to convice the dad to go for a drive rather than go on his daily bike ride.  We ended up driving all the way around lower and upper Priest Lake, something I've never done before but now would like to do more ofter.  The area north of upper Priest Lake is gorgeous and Garnite Pass was quite the sight.  We stopped at one point early onbecause dad saw some cedar he wanted to cut up into firewood.  While he did that me and mom explored a bit.  I found a large granite boulder that was just gorgeous.  It had one section that was just white with little red spots of garnets in it.  Too big to take home and couldn't bring myself to break off a chunk.  Some things should be left as they are.  


Mom walked around taking pictures of wildflowers and while doing so found a patch of huckleberry bushes that had ripe berries.  The huckleberries aren't that great this year, most people aren't finding any, it's just been too wet this year.  The patch we found though had plenty of berries.  We picked enough for huckleberry pancakes for everyone in the morning.


When we got around to the other side of lower Priest Lake we stopped at Granite Falls.  A beautiful fall that you can visit before heading up the trail into the Roosevelt Cedar Grove.  We were the only ones there, which is weird.  There's a campgroung right there which usually has one or two people camping in it but not this last week.  We walked up to the see the falls from the lower vantage point.  I've never seen so much water in that stream!  And it's the end of July when the water is usually low.  After the falls we headed back to the other side of the lake and camp, stoping for beer on our way through the town of Priest Lake.


Came home yesterday.  The rest of the family stayed till today.  My aunt couldn't get our site through the weekend so we had to come back early.  Not that I minded to much.  Camping's great but it does leave me really tired, and I really wanted a shower.


My birthday is Thursday and the sister will be getting into town late that evening.  Looking forward to seeing her even if it's only for a little while before so goes on a week long bike ride with my dad.  After that my attention will be focused on the fair.  It's going to be chaos this year.  They're switching over to registering entries online and getting people to change is going to be hell.  Here's hoping we get plenty of entries despite the change, otherwise building 3 is going to look a little empty this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment