Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Shawl Design

I volunteered to design a lace shawl for Knitivity back in January and I finally got the yarn for it last week. He may have forgotten he was going to send me yarn but a quick reminder and the yarn came in the mail two days later.  I immediately started working on the shawl.  First I did a gauge swatch and then I started test knitting stitch patterns.  Then there was a brief stint with google translater to try to figure out what part of a german pattern was for the edging.  I eventually figured it out and now I don't even think I'll use that edging.  I'm sure I'll use it in something else, it's a beautiful edging pattern.

I did one and a half days of test swatching before I decided to just start the shawl.  It's a half circle, which I've never done before.  The beginning of last week I started a circular shawl for myself and I liked the construction of it so much I wanted to try in just a half circle, not wanting to have to start in the middle of another shawl after the hour or so of trying to start the circular shawl.

I'm now at 193 stitches and row 82 and I'm loving how it's looking.



After the next increase row I'm going to do three repeats of the stitch pattern then put the whole thing on a lifeline, take it off the needles to measure the size and then decide what to do from that point.

I should probably start typing up the pattern as I have it so far, and find out how to make the charts it will need.  When it's done it will be available through Knitivity and I'll let all of you know when that is.

Now to get back to knitting.

1 comment:

  1. It looks gorgeous so far! I'd love to see it finished and blocked. =)

    ReplyDelete